Archive for October, 2014

Five Years

WordPress just reminded me that ODV has been going for five years. Instead of something made of wood I offer you this Snapseed shot of helmer:

Good stuff to come including more guest posts and a new addition to the ODV Fleet.


Max Jax Victorious

My Max Jax mid-rise lift arrived back in the beginning of August but it took a little while to cut and dig two sets of footings, pour the concrete, wait a month to cure, then drill for anchors. Uncle Stephen took care of all that (thank you, Sir). Now all I can think is why didn’t I do this years ago? Here are a few shots of the install and resulting levitation.

2014-08-05 17.53.00 HDR

Unpacked and idle

2014-08-05 18.16.35 HDR

Some assembly required

2014-08-08 17.02.47

Uncle and I figure out optimal placement

2014-08-08 18.47.06 HDR

Must accommodate a 240 wagon. This is the gold standard.

2014-08-08 19.11.41

Neatly stored until after construction

2014-08-12 12.40.05

Rented saw makes quick work

2014-08-13 17.49.19

Existing concrete was less than four inches. That would have never worked.

2014-09-19 17.33.47

Outside poured. Footings ended up roughly 3′ x 3′ x 12″ with mesh and rebar. I wish I had gotten a shot before the pour.

2014-09-19 19.52.03

Cucumber patiently waiting the 28 days cure time

2014-09-19 18.34.31

Figuring out final placement

2014-09-19 18.35.58

Only one chance to do it right!

2014-09-22 19.22.08

Lots of drilling and setting of anchors later, we get to do the first test lift. Mellis is the unwitting subject.

2014-09-23 19.10.13

First test successful, the 1800 goes up next

2014-09-23 19.14.18

Fits at maximum 48″ lift with door closed. Hooray!

2014-09-23 19.08.53

Luxurious access

2014-09-26 17.24.07 HDR

Outside is at an odd angle but is optimized for rear wheel access and ability to move around the car

2014-09-26 18.46.26

Mellis is once again the test subject. This will be handy to finish a few remaining rusty patches before winter.

It was all very straightforward except for a pesky fluid leak on the fitting where the short bridge hose attaches to the aluminum base plate at the bottom of the hydraulic unit. It didn’t call for an o-ring but I found one that fit perfectly and fixed the leak. One tip: you can run transmission fluid or any regular hydraulic oil but I found some great biodegradable Bio Ultimax hydraulic oil on Amazon. It has no odor and cleans up easily when disconnecting the lines for relocation (they dribble a bit).